Education and Awareness
Raising awareness and educating the community about human trafficking is one of the pillars of Free the Captives. People cannot act if they are not aware of the severity of the trafficking problem that plagues Houston. Education is the first step in fighting human trafficking.
Free the Captives has educated and trained thousands of people in Houston and across the country. From churches to law enforcement to students, many people have gained a better understanding of sex trafficking due to Free the Captives’ speakers. Check out this link of a partial list of our past speaking engagements. You can request one of our speakers to come out and educate your organization about human trafficking by filling out this form here.
- Renting Lacy: A Story of America’s Prostituted Children by Linda Smith
- 8 Ball Chicks by Gini Sikes
- Restavec: From Haitian Slave Child to Middle-Class American by Jean-Robert Cadet
- Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery by Siddharth Kara
- Not For Sale by David Batstone
- Escaping the Devil’s Bedroom by Dawn H. Jewell
- Terrify No More by Gary A. Haugen and Gregg Hunter
- Disposable People by Kevin Bales
- The Slave across the Street by Theresa Flores
- A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby Payne