Read to Lead: Fighting Human Trafficking One Book at a Time!
Free the Captives is excited to launch our new literacy program that will break the cycle of poverty and change generations within teen trafficking victims’ families. The sad reality is that many of our teen trafficking victims are coming out of this environment with unplanned pregnancies. To create a better life for these children, we want to help them develop a love for reading.
Why Literacy is Important:
- 1 in 4 children in America grow up without learning how to read.
- 2/3 of students who cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare. Over 70% of America’s inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level.
- Those who don’t read proficiently by the 3rd grade are 4 times likelier to drop out of school.
- Teenage girls between the ages of 16 to 19 who live at or below the poverty line and have below average literacy skills are 6 times more likely to have children out of wedlock than girls their age who can read proficiently.1
- Reading to children as infants and toddlers will increase their literacy skills and better prepare them to succeed in school.
How will Read to Lead work?
- We are asking the community to donate each month new books from our reading list and gift certificates as incentives.
- Free the Captives will provide our trafficked teens and their child with these new books.
- Our trafficked teens will be encouraged to read at least one book to their child each night.
- After turning in a reading log every two weeks, the teen can earn incentives such as gift certificates to be used towards diapers and wipes.
- The teen will build up her own library and help her child develop literacy skills and a love of books!
Do you want to break the cycle of poverty that contributes the human trafficking of teenagers?
Get INVOLVED with Read to Lead:
- Attend a Royal Tea Party with your child to learn about human trafficking and donate books.
- Each month, donate a new book from our reading list or $20 Walmart gift card at our book drop centers.
- Become a Book Ambassador at your church and host a book drop and Royal Tea Party.
Questions about Read to Lead?
Check out our frequently asked questions such as “Why new books?,” Why each month?” or “Where or how do I donate books?”